Background and Objectives
Building on the outcomes of the MCCA1 and other ongoing climate change adaptation and mitigation-related projects and programmes in this country, MCCA2 will generate substantial synergies and bring out the maximum benefits from the implementation of the MCCSMP. MCCA2 is designed to support implementation of MCCSMP across prioritised sectors and will provide support to key ministries and departments to strengthen their capacity to respond to climate urgencies in their respective sector. MCCA2 will prioritise 3 sectors to provide more in-depth support on mainstreaming climate change into sectoral planning, budgeting and implementation.
In addition, MCCA2 will also keep addressing vulnerability to climate change and strengthening local actions through scaling up of local adaptation and mitigation planning in selected 8 townships, as well as engaging in mainstreaming climate change into local development planning process in Myanmar. MCCA2 will provide continuous support to develop enhanced knowledge and disseminate it to various targeted users to establish the climate change dialogue at different levels in Myanmar. Moreover, MCCA2 will continue providing support on climate change issues to achieve the targets of Myanmar Sustainable Development Plan (MSDP) and Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The overall objective of MCCA2 is that Myanmar becomes a climate resilient, low-carbon society that is sustainable, prosperous, and inclusive. This will be achieved by strengthening the understanding of community-based climate change adaptation and mitigation and undertaking of gender responsive climate actions.
The MCCA2 programme will put an emphasis on the following two components of intervention: 1) Support, at the local level, of resilience-building, taking into account the specific needs and demands of women and youth; and 2) Improved climate sector dialogue through knowledge generation, awareness raising and communication.
Main expected accomplishments
Output 1: The building of resilience at local level is supported taking into account the specific needs and demands of women and youth
Building Local Level Climate Resilience
- Developing simple methodology and tools for climate change vulnerability assessment & local adaptation and mitigation planning tool.
- Training of local NGOs, CSOs and CBOs on the use of vulnerability assessment and local adaptation and mitigation planning tool.
- Development of local Adaptation and Mitigation Plan of 8 targeted Townships with gender responsive approach.
- Implementation of prioritized Local Adaptation and Mitigation measures.
Capacity Building of LNGOs, School Children and Youth to Promote Climate Resilience
- Capacity building of local NGOs to integrate climate change in developing project proposals.
- Climate Change education program designed and delivered for school children through pilot projects.
Output 2: Improved climate sector dialogue through knowledge generation, awareness raising and communication
Climate Change Communication Strategy
- Implementation of climate change communication strategy, including standards for the development of knowledge products related to CC.
- Digital data portal (mobile application, website) containing CC knowledge products.
- Identifying climate-smart investment opportunities and promoting within private sector and financing institutions.
Advocating Climate Change Impacts on Natural and Human Systems
- Developing climate change advocacy materials and knowledge products developed for media, private sector and other vulnerable groups.
- Organizing annual climate forums to disseminate knowledge about local and gender-responsive adaptation and mitigation planning and to raise awareness on tackling the climate crisis.
- Gender Strategy: MCCA2 has given special attention to address the gender issues as women are often disproportionately more impacted by climate change due to lack of awareness, opportunities, representation in decision making and formal employment etc.
- Human Rights Strategy: MCCA2 and the climate resilience actions adhere to the human rights principles of equality and non-discrimination, inclusion and participation, accountability, and the rule of law.
- Children, Youth and Older Persons Strategy: MCCA2 will implement the climate change communication strategy by dedicated awareness campaign on women, children, youth, old person etc.
- Disability Strategy: MCCA2 will ensure the inclusion of disable people not only in the selection of most vulnerable groups identified in communities but also in multi-stakeholders consultations. Social sustainability plan and climate communication strategy will also engage with disable groups.
Development Partners/ Partners
Development Partner: European Union (EU)